Of all the resources I’ve found to help me, a series of screencasts on the site css-tricks.com run by now Chicagoan Chris Coyier have been most helpful and motivational. The recent series, released over a three-week period, covers the creation of a WordPress-based website, from design in Photoshop through coding the HTML & CSS and incorporating the code onto the WordPress platform. The series runs as follows:
- Building a Website (1 of 3): Photoshop Mockup
- Building a Website (2 of 3): HTML/CSS Conversion
- Building a Website (3 of 3): WordPress Theme
Beyond these fantastic tutorials, the site features other WordPress tutorials, such as:
- Designing for WordPress: Part One
- Designing for WordPress: Part Two
- Designing for WordPress: Part Three
- WordPress as a CMS
- Hodgepodge of WordPress Tricks
- Integrating FoxyCart and WordPress
- Advanced Uses for Custom Fields in WordPress
Besides WordPress, css-tricks.com covers a plethora of information about web design in general. There’s articles, a forum, other video screencasts, free downloads and a recently added feature, Snippets, which offers “bits of helpful code” for use on your website.
And if all that wasn’t enough, Chris has joined forces with Jeff Starr to create the site Digging into WordPress, a blog for the upcoming book of the same name.
Thanks Chris for all your hard work dedication and the fantastic online resource.