Attended our monthly local Dreamweaver Meet-up and again, a great event. We had a great turnout with a good group of newcomers. The topic this month was productivity tips using Dreamweaver. The presenter was Patrick Elward, operator of Chicago Web Management, and a certified Dreamweaver MX Professional Developer. Additionally, he leads the Chicago Webmasters Meetup Group. Thanks Patrick for a great presentation!
I wanted to share the productivity tips for Dreamweaver provided, as well as provide my personal commentary. Enjoy!
Productivity Tips using Dreamweaver
- Library items
- “includes” are used DW-side (on local server)
- Bad, because it updates only local files and those all need to be re-uploaded
- Can be buggy to change/modify
Comment: As Patrick stated, Library items can be effective, however, their value is diminished once you understand the power of server-side includes (see below).
- Saved code or text values for reuse
- Insert type ‘drops in’ a block of code
- Wrap type ‘drops code’ around a block selection (tags, for example)
Comments: I’m fairly new to snippets but have become a big fan of their use over the past couple of months. A great time saver. Continue reading